Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Reply to Single or multiple tools? Outlook vs. Nirvana/Toodledo/OmniFocus on GTD Connect

Hi,

Thought I'd share this piece I just posted on GTD Connect regarding my setup.


I am a heavy Outlook user, though I keep my lists in mind mapping software. I use add-in tools to link Outlook with the Mind Mapping software. I operate both a desktop and a TabletPC. I use PowerFolder to sync both the mind maps and the Outlook PSTs. Powerfolder is both a web storage tool and a peer to peer, so I can sync over the LAN when both machines are online or over the web if not. It takes about 2 minutes when on a LAN and 5 minutes over wireless, so even if I'm running out the door, I grab the TabletPC and it will sync via the Web when I turn it back on.

The lists that I need on the go, I sync to Outlook tasks and then I use hosted Exchange on my primary e-mail (I have several email accounts), and Exchange syncs very nicely with my Smart Phone.


Whilst I am limited to processing at my desktop or TabletPC, I find the separation from "Capture" vs "Clarify/Organise" very effective, it ensures I always finish my thinking. Also, because I find myself all kinds of location with limited connectivity, as long as I have synced the TabletPC before I lose connection, I have my full GTD environment with me and I am operating at 100% no matter where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment